Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ishrael finally woke, ran away with me from Prince Xyn's awful underground fortress.
Ishrael did not blame me, but I still know that it was all my fault that he slept for so long. Enchanted. Xyn told me that I could have made Ishrael wake up, but I was too frightened and too weak to save him.
It didn't matter. Ishrael came away with me back to our park, so that we could listen to the birds in the tall trees and sleep in the soft grass under all those distant stars.
He promised to stay with me this time. 'Always,' said Ishrael.
It's not Ishrael's fault what happened yesterday. We went to find some plants I need that I can only get from the desert peoples. I cannot go often because the sun is too strong for me, but we traveled at night. Ishrael is clever, he knows how to protect me from the things that I cannot bear, just like Miah used to - when the sun was out he wrapped me up in a blanket and hid me away in our tent.
In the market... I can't bear to think of the market now. I had all my plants and herbs out on the blanket, I was sorting them before we made our trip home. Ishrael heard the merchant there selling pomegranates. 'Pomegranates!', and Ishrael started to go. 'Don't go,' but Ishrael only chuckled and tousled my hair. Teasing look, for worrying too much.
Fear for him. Fear to be alone. But I do not argue with Ishrael because he is good, and very good when he smiles.
Then there was the Prince - terrible, beautiful Prince. Sidhe Prince. Evil Prince, come to hurt us. Threats to hurt the children - Briony, Defrin, Kendrew. Threats against others too. Worst, threats to hurt Ishrael. Why won't the Prince leave Ishrael alone? Because Xyn must use Ishrael to bring me to him. What does Xyn need me for? Twisted words. Confusion. If the Prince will never hurt Ishrael again, I could be brave. I could go with Xyn. For Ishrael. For the others.
The heat shimmers in my eyes. 'Save Ishrael,' I say. Xyn smiles his cruel smile. 'Yes,' and then the sun was too bright, the heat too intense. All swam into blackness - Ishrael out of reach of the Prince now.
Me, in his place.

No comments: